So I have been in my writing class for several weeks now. It has been pretty successful as far as sparking some creativity in me, I believe. The group itself is pretty cool and all the writers are quite good. Several of them know each other already, so there is the occasional clique feeling, but I'm doing my best not to feel any residual high school inferiority. The prompts have been strong, and almost therapeutic for me.
Some of the people in the class have also talked about doing different activities in the writing community. One which seems interesting to me is an Open Mic poetry night at some place downtown. I don't remember the name of the place right now, but I asked one of my classmates about it and was assured it isn't just a smoky bar with beatniks with berets tapping bongos. I've always wanted to do an Open Mic poetry night, so now is just gathering enough courage. And deciding on (or creating) some work I want to share. It's been a long time since I've written poetry seriously, but it might be time to jump back in to it.
The most exciting thing is that I have liked some of the short pieces I've written for this class thus far. In fact, the last two pieces I wrote I have really liked. I hardly ever really like my own writing, but I am quite proud of these two DRASTICALLY different pieces. In fact, one of them I am seriously considering expanding into a full novel. Maybe even work on it during NaNoWriMo. Or putting it aside and doing something else for NaNoWriMo. I've never done anything with this November challenge, but I think it could be fun/challenging.
Over the next couple days I will do a quick scrub edit of those last two pieces and will post them here. If anyone reads them, comment or touch base or something. I'd love to get any feedback.
No comments:
Post a Comment